Kajaani, the green home of HPC
Reducing the CO2 emission is a globally critical target, to which the location of the EuroHPC machines have a huge impact, as supercomputers consume plenty of electricity. CSC’s datacenter in Kajaani has an abundant supply of low-price and environmentally friendly hydropower. The benefits of the location also include warm water cooling, which enables waste heat to be utilized in the district heating network of Kajaani, further reducing costs and CO2 footprint.
The CSC Kajaani datacenter is highly scalable for large hardware installations and extensions or other potential infrastructure, making it ideal for building a sustainable datacenter ecosystem. The reliable and fast data communications networks of the datacenter are also designed for HPC. In addition, the area has a unique focus on data analytics thanks to the Kajaani University of Applied Sciences and numerous ICT companies.
Leveraging the location
Finland is one of the best locations for datacenters, since it has low operating costs, safe environmental and political conditions as well as extremely high security status. Here are some of the key factors that give Finland its competitive edge:
- Total electricity cost for industries is one of the lowest in Europe
- Pioneer in telecommunication and internet technologies
- Ranked as the most stable and sustainable country in the world
- Ranked as the safest place for datacenters in EU and 4th safest in the world
- One of the safest and most reliable environments for storing and processing data
- Finland and Kajaani are a low-risk areas in terms of geographical, weather, political and man-made risks
Why is the CSC Kajaani datacenter an ideal place for supercomputers?
- Plenty of space: 2200 m2 reserved, scalable to 4600 m2
- 100% hydroelectric power is available up to 200 MW
- Very reliable power grid: one power outage in the last 36 years
- Free cooling is possible all year round
- Possibility to utilize waste heat generated by the equipment in the district heating network of Kajaani
- This reduces total energy costs and CO2 emissions
- Highly capable telecommunication connections: the datacenter is part of the Nordic backbone network
- High security and safety standards