Global warming is causing long-lasting and potentially irreversible changes to our climate system if we do not take action now. Reducing our global carbon footprint is a critical goal. The location of the EuroHPC machines would be significant, as supercomputers consume vast amounts of electricity. The CSC datacenter in Kajaani has a negative carbon footprint.
- What makes the CSC datacenter in Kajaani unique? Have a look at this video
- The datacenter offers many competitive advantages including energy and cost efficiency, societal and geographical stability and high security standards as well as providing a perfect environment for a state-of-the-art pre-exascale installation.
- Due to Kajaani’s location in Northern Finland, the datacenter benefits from free cooling provided almost all-year-round thus saving significantly on electricity.
- Data center production is 100 % certificated hydropower in Kajaani. There are several local hydropower plants, and abundant green power is available. Cooling is deployed efficiently resulting in PUE 1.04 (measured average in 2017 in air cooled cabinets). Waste heat is used to warm households in the Kajaani region.
- High capacity green power is provided within the Renforsin Ranta Business Park with links to the national grid. Redundant green power scalability is also possible up to hundreds of MWs. In addition, the region is investing heavily to wind farms and solar energy.